In general, asphalt paving consists of approximately two inches of compacted asphalt laid over a crushed stone base of four to six inches. A base of the proper thickness and material is necessary for a long-lasting driveway. A proper grade, meaning there are no low spots in the driveway, will ensure you do not end up with puddles. The overall paving job will reect the quality of asphalt, stone and workmanship that went into its construction.
TIPS ON CARING FOR YOUR
• Asphalt is made up of various sizes of stone, sand, liquid asphalt and other elements. Some areas will look smoother than others. Some hairline cracks, scars and raveling are not unusual. It can take up to 12 months for the liquid asphalt in blacktop to harden and cure. You can walk on the surface immediately, but it is recommended that you keep vehicular traffic off at least 12 hours or longer after paving.
• Asphalt surfaces are flexible. As temperatures rise and fall, you may notice the surface will harden and soften. This is normal, so on really hot days you may want to lightly spray water on the surface in the heat of the day to cool and help harden it.
• Power steering marks and scuffing are common in new asphalt and newly seal-coated surfaces. Try to avoid turning the wheel with the vehicle in a stationary position. Turning while stopped can cause the asphalt to move and scar the new surface.
• Spills from gasoline, oil, antifreeze, power steering and transmission fluids can all cause damage to the asphalt surface.
• The inherent flexibility of asphalt allows rough areas and scars to heal themselves in time and under traffic, while larger tears can be touched up. Asphalt hardens as it ages and becomes much less likely to depress or scar.
• Once your asphalt has completely cured, it is advisable to apply a sealer to your pavement. This process is called “seal-coating.”
What Our Customers Say
“I used Southern Sun Paving to completely replace our driveway (approximately 400 ft. of chip & tar). The job was finished on time with high quality products and workmanship. I believe Southern Sun would be a good choice for any paving job.”
“Southern Sun did a great job paving our driveway. They were professional and efficient in every way. I highly recommend them and will continue to let people know how pleased I am with their work.”
“I couldn’t be happier or more satisfied with the excellent paving job done by Southern Sun Paving. I am so glad that I went with Southern Sun! We highly recommend them.”